Wednesday, July 11, 2007

KR2M Mobile Antenna


I recently purchased this KR2M mono-band 2 meter antenna from DJB Electronics, located in Jamestown, NC. They are an online store that sells ham radio equipment. I was extremely impressed with the quality of this antenna. Setup only took a couple of minutes. I unwrapped it, screwed in the antenna mount into the magnetic base, then inserted the antenna into the mount, tightened 2 screws, plopped it down in the center of the roof of my car, and connected my little Radio Shack HTX 202 HT. I had the HT plugged into the cigarette lighter of the car, allowing me to put out 6 Watts.

I tried the W4NC repeater. Success! I was happy just being able to get a signal out of this gully surrounded by apartment buildings in Winston Salem. So I decided to do a little more testing. I was able to get a signal out to the W4GSO repeater in Greensboro! Well that definitely had me covered. Exactly what I bought it for. My S-meter showed a 6 on transmit. A little reflected power. So I took the twisty tie that came in the packing, coiled about five turns of the coax loosely together (as I didn't have anything to wrap them around) as close as I could to the door (where the coax exits the vehicle) and secured it with the twisty tie. (quick n dirty 1:1 balun) Transmit showed S-9! Good to go.

So I proceeded to take my wife to work, then go visit my parents in Thomasville, NC. I made several contacts, including N4BYU, N8NQP, and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head at the moment. I was still able to hit the Greensboro repeater from all the way in Thomasville with only 6 watts! No flutter and no picket fencing! This antenna has quality written all over it! And after taxes and shipping it only costs about $18 bucks! James, the store owner, provided excellent customer service. He answered all of my questions, and even delivered the product right to my apartment door since he was passing by! Try getting that from some big, brand name, corporate outfit! I will definitely be purchasing as much of my equipment as I can from them. They even sell study materials! Time for me to prepare for my general ticket!

No comments: